Thursday, November 30, 2006

Bobby


Bobby: A new film written and directed by Emilio Estevez……I can’t believe I just typed that, let me try that again. A new film written and directed by……...….Emilio Estevez -still feels strange. Even stranger – I really liked this movie. The film centers around 22 people who were at the Ambassador Hotel the night Bobby Kennedy was killed. There are a number of storylines in the film, all of which are meant to show you the state of mind people were in back in 1968. The cast is exceptional; it stars more big names than I think any other movie I have seen. The only role void of a big name actor is the role of Bobby Kennedy. For Kennedy, Estevez chose to use actual footage of the senator to increase the impact of the moment. As the film weaves between storylines we see and hear some of Kennedy’s great speeches leading up to that dreadful night of his assassination. Also, throughout the movie we see the hope building in people for the change they believed Kennedy would bring to the country if elected. The ending sees all that hope wiped away with a couple of loud bullet shots in a hotel kitchen. Emilio dips into the music of the time and lays it over the actions on the screen for an exceptionally powerful finish. I think this is another top 10 movie of the year for me…….Back to the cast for a moment, have a look for yourself at the names involved in this movie – CAST

* * * and ½ or a Grade: B+

If this movie had parents they would be: Crash & JFK

With a running time of 120 minutes
This film is rated R

No comments:

Post a Comment