Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Grindhouse


Grindhouse: A double feature paying tribute to the “B-movie thrillers” of the past, from directors Robert Rodriguez & Quentin Tarantino. I give big thumbs up for the ambition of the project which is comprised of 2 full length movies (each about 1:25 minutes in length), accompanied by faux “coming attractions” before and in between the features. The two films have nothing tying them together plot wise; however some of the same sets, props, and actors are used in both films. Up first is Planet Terror by Rodriguez. The film is a “gore fest” of a zombie movie. The story uses basic zombie movie understanding – everyone is infected with a virus which turns them into man eating zombies. A small group of rebels remain uninfected and need to get to a safe area to produce a cure to the virus. The humor in the movie is spot on, making fun of itself as it goes along. The second feature is Death Proof by Tarantino. I loved this movie. Kurt Russell plays Stuntman Mike, a mad man who likes to kill people in his death proof-(made for a stuntman)-car. The reason I found Death Proof to be a superior film is that not only did it pay tribute to old B-movies, but at the same time you were getting some classic Tarantino cinema!! I did not get that blend from Planet Terror. In fact I was getting bored by the mid-way mark of the first feature. Tarantino had the right mix and it worked. The final car chase was one of the most exhilarating scenes I have seen in a long time. Between the outstanding faux trailers and the extremely fun ride of Death Proof, Grindhouse gets a recommendation from me.
The Breakdown – Planet Terror : * * // Death Proof * * * *

Grindhouse (as a whole): * * * or grade: B

If this movie had parents they would be: Shaun of the Dead & Duel

With a run time of 191 minutes
This film is rated R

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez, and I can’t wait to see what they have done with these 2 movies. I love zombie movies, so I’m sure to like “Planet Terror” and “Death Proof” looks mighty interesting! Check out http://atthemoviestv.com for everything you need to know about current movie reviews including past and future motion picture. Lemire was a guest celebrity that day and she gave Grindhouse a thumbs up saying, “I had so much fun at “Grindhouse,” So unlike anything else out there.” Check out the site to see what Roeper had to say about it! The site also has full-length high-production movie reviews of original content and it has the most extensive review archive than any other. I work with Disney, that’s how I have the inside scoop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please contact me again, only use historychaser@gmail.com regarding Guerilla Film Database. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete