Thursday, October 18, 2007

Darjeeling Limited Movie Review


The Darjeeling Limited: Wes Anderson’s 5th feature film takes us on an unusual trip through India by train. We follow the 3 Whitman brothers - Francis (Owen Wilson), Peter (Adrian Brody), and Jack (Jason Schwartzman) as they take a spiritual journey that they hope will bring them closer together. After the death of their father, the brothers drifted apart. Each of them is still dealing with the death in their own unique way. As with Wes Anderson’s other films (The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic), the humor lies in the characters which are so well written. In fact his characters and their characteristics are so defined that his movies take a couple of viewings to be fully appreciated. Intense detail is given to the train the brothers are traveling on and the luggage they carry with them making them central characters in the story. Being a huge fan of Wes Anderson, my expectations are extremely high which leads to my only complaint. The film is funny, clever, and even a little moving, but I did not feel Wes pushed his creativity level high enough. This film is in line with his other works, but does not stand out from them. However, I am saying all of this after one viewing and I know I will enjoy this movie more the next time I visit it. Additionally, I am sure the film will offer even more laughs after I see the short film Hotel Chevalier that is meant to be a prologue to Darjeeling, but was not shown in theaters. This is a welcomed addition to the Wes Anderson filmography, I just wish I could say it was near the top.

* * * or Grade: B


If this movie had parents they would be: The Man Who Would be King & The Life Aquatic


With a running Time of 91 minutes

This film is rated R

No comments:

Post a Comment