Tuesday, July 29, 2008

X-Files: I want to Believe

The X-Files: I want to Believe: Being a huge X-Files fan, I was very pleased to see the series get another big screen installment. Another plus was hearing that this film would have nothing to do with the on-going alien conspiracy and would instead be a “stand-alone” thriller. In its prime, The X-Files' stand-alone episodes were basically mini sci-fi movies. The idea of expanding the budget and scope for the movie houses seemed like a slam dunk. However, it did not seem to me that this latest X-Files movie really expanded the budget, nor the scope of the story. It was basically like watching a TV episode in the theater. This is not the worst thing though as the chemistry between Fox Mulder and Dana Scully is still one of the best. I also enjoyed how easily they caught us up with the character’s lives and what they have been doing since we last saw them some 6 years ago. The plot was average for X-Files standards, focusing on psychic visions from a priest to help find a missing FBI agent. The villains who kidnapped the agent and the reason for it was perverse, but again I would have liked something a bit creepier. I also would have enjoyed a little more screen time with the villains to fill out their characters. A sub-plot involving Scully’s connection with her young patient at the hospital gave the film a deeper meaning as did her relationship with Mulder. In the end, I liked the movie and was happy to see the duo in action again, but I did feel the series had more potential than what we saw in I Want to Believe.
Ry’s Rating: C+

If this movie had Parents, they would be: The X-Files (1998) & Dirty Pretty Things

With a runtime of 104 minutes
This film is rated PG-13

No comments:

Post a Comment