Monday, May 11, 2009

New Star Trek Review


Star Trek: Wow, am I impressed! When I heard the early buzz on this film “rebooting the series with a young attractive cast I thought it would be like 90210 in space…or in other words, a complete disaster. Then a strange thing happened, the trailer came out and actually looked pretty good. Then the positive reviews and word of mouth started to come in. Finally, on Saturday I was able to check it out for myself. I have to tip my cap to J.J. Abrams for a job well done. I am not a “trekkie” by any means. However I have seen a couple of the movies, cried when Spock died in Khan, and know most of the main characters. This movie actually made me want to discover more of the Star Trek lore. The story starts at the very beginning and I mean the Very Beginning: we see Captain Kirk’s birth. We then jump ahead 25 years to the U.S.S. Enterprise's first mission out to investigate a distress call from the planet Vulcan. What makes the rest of the ride so enjoyable is the cast. Every one of the crew members does an excellent job of getting us to care about them, plus their chemistry together is tremendous. The two leads – Spock (Zachary Quinto) and Kirk (Chris Pine) are perfect together as we see their friendship begin. On top of the perfect cast is a well layered story that includes some time travel elements that work perfectly for the situation. Lastly, we have some grand special effects that breathe some life into the movie – gone are the days of a camera tilting and the actors falling all over. Star Trek is back…..and in my opinion, better than ever before.
Ry's Rating: A-

If this movie had parents they would be: Back to the Future & The Last Star Fighter

With a runtime of 121 minutes
This film is rated PG-13

No comments:

Post a Comment